Early pioneers Eugene and Nancy Alexander first visited the area in 1887 and returned to the Property in 1889 to homestead the first 160 acres. The original home site is located along the New Fork River and was the first parcel of land homesteaded on the upper New Fork River, a major tributary to the Green River.
The New Fork Cattle Company property is currently used for recreational, wildlife viewing and agricultural purposes. It has been extensively managed and developed for wildlife and fish habitat, including the construction of several large wetlands projects which today host breeding pairs of swans and numerous migratory birds. The ranch lies at the intersection of the Path of the Pronghorn and the Red Desert to Hoback Mule Deer Migration Route, making it extremely important for those big game travelers as well as the moose which inhabit its willow bottoms year round.
Photo: Summer Schulz